Post by Jany Xu
Tom Foremski stopped by for a quick lunch at SHIFT’s San Francisco office yesterday. I’d never really met him, only seen him from afar. He has the most soothing voice and a deep understanding/insight into the valley (which makes his blog, Silicon Valley Watcher, such an appropriate name).
The discussion centered around the evolving roles of PR and media in the tech industry, more specifically, where are we going and how to we pitch you. Here are some of his pearls:
- What happens if old media dies before new media learns how to walk?
- You can’t fake interest online (referring to bloggers and their topics).
- Google isn’t a tech company. Google is a tech enabled media company.
As if Tom isn’t enough, our own Todd Defren had a tweet up last night @ Elephant & Castle. Of course, I had to make an appearance, and I’m so glad I did. Why?
- Hef- its the end of a long work day; my body keeps telling me I haven’t slept and need to get on that.
- Great company- I swear, at one point, we were discussing the merits of choosing the right traditional & new media strategies for each company, and then, we started talking about Folsom Street Fair (I am SO going this year!).
- Elephant & Castle- we had the whole downstairs. It wasn’t too loud. Our server was amazing.